Monday, September 7, 2009

Thoughts on Prayer

"7And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him."
(NIV)

Why do we pray?

1) We're supposed to. Church and the bible say so.
2) It helps us work out our thoughts; we mentally organize (on a personal level) and we discover, or are enlightened or nudged (from the divine).
3) It's good for the people we pray for.
4) Why not? Ask and you shall receive (Mark 11:24).

Humans developed language as a way to organize our thoughts and emotions, and as a way to share them with others. According to the text in Matthew, we don't need human language to communicate with God--He doesn't need our self made form of communication to understand what we need; He knows before we take the stuff of our souls and organize it into a languaged thought or word. So why do we pray out loud in church? Why do we pray in large groups? Why do people feel empowered by this? Is this the power of prayer? If He knows what we need before we ask, why do we pray at all?

Prayer in this ask and receive (or not) manner, seems one dimensional to me; God must be more.

Dear God, please help Jimmy get better. Amen.

If the Father knows what we need before we ask Him, do we need to say anything to God--or do we need to listen? Hopefully our praying doesn't turn into a to do/wish list, on a personal or selfless and communal level; a conversation that is heavily one sided.

How do you pray? What forms of prayer work well for you?

4 comments:

  1. Hey Drew! Good questions, here's my thoughts: Prayer is a two way street. I don't believe it was meant to be like a drive through. We don't place our order and hang up, it's meant to be a communication with our Lord and Savior. That's why it is so important to listen, ponder, and meditate after praying and while reading the scriptures, to let Him have a chance. Too often we hang up too fast. God does know what we need before we ask for it but we need to make the first step or else how can we grow and develop? How can we recognize God's hand and learn to rely on Him? How can we develop faith, and by faith hope and charity? When we pray in groups we edify one another by uniting our wills to God. Prayer thins the veil between us and our Maker. God will not help us if we do not want His help, we must make an effort to show we want it. It is also a way to express gratitude. God will not long bestow blessings on those who do not express thanks. (Think the 10 lepers) Hope you find this helpful!
    Sarah Hancock

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I pray I sometimes forget what it is I am saying and just go on this kind of vocal thought organization session. When I do figure something out or even if it pisses me off that I cannot figure anything out I always remember why it was I opened my mouth in the first place and I say Thank You. I do not know even if it really works tho. I mean sometimes I figure things out and I would guess it works but most of the time I am at a loss. I cannot wait to speak with you on Friday about this some more.

    Peace Friend

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to use an analogy to try and make my point. Hopefully it works....

    When I am sitting in class and the teacher is giving a lecture, it's extremely easy to tune out and not pay attention. Her voice becomes a comforting lullaby, luring me to sleep. I can hear what she is saying, but I'm not listening. Wouldn't this lecture be more effective if I were to engage in the lesson by answering the questions my teacher is asking and asking my own questions along the way?

    That's what prayer does for me. It allows me to listen actively to what God is asking me to do, and in turn I can ask questions. Does God already know what I'm going to ask? Of course. But it makes it easier to hear the answer when I consciously pose the question.

    Not everyone needs to do this. Some people are so aware of God, so in tune with him, that they don't need to pray in the conventional sense of the word. I think in these cases, prayer becomes a way of life. Every minute that we're aware of God's presence is like a prayer because sometimes thinking of God is enough.

    It's just my take on it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love Jenna's analogy, and I totally resonate with that. It's actually quite beautiful to think of prayer as engaging yourself in a lesson with God... Cool sister you got there Drew ;)

    ReplyDelete