Monday, March 30, 2009

Barcodes, Zebras and Pianos

Let's imagine a timeline of sorts, in which black represents the time I spend dedicated to my societal obligations (school work, a social life with family and friends, etc.); all the white areas will represent the time where I have been strictly devoted to God (some Sundays at church, a mission trip perhaps, reading the bible, prayer, etc.). My timeline would look very sectionalized, with definitive black lines and soft, fuzzy white ones. For the most part (pre- New Orleans), my barcode looked like a black box, my zebra, an italian stallion and my piano, very, very dirty.  How can I create areas of gray in this dualistic timeline (to make a spectrum)? How can I include God in my societal obligations?
 1) Through my interaction with others on a daily basis, trying to love the people that irritate me. (You know the ones, that you can't stand listening to--whose voice burns little holes of annoyance into your skull.) Loving is a rather large leap for my little legs, maybe we can start with non-judgmental respect and appreciation. 
2) Taking time throughout my day, specifically for God. Which brings me to my next point...

A completely gray timeline is undesirable. I should have some time dedicated solely to God--so perhaps a gray and white visualization is more ideal. In retrospect, I realize that the times I thought to be black, were actually some form of gray. God was always with me, whether I realized it or not. Perhaps this is where the dualism and linearity of such an analogy fail its purpose. The visualization is helpful though for a young follower and a novice theologizer.  How else can we create gray in our lives? 

3 comments:

  1. Wow Drew, that's pretty deep. I like your ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great thoughts my emerging friend. the question you ask is a wise and important one to wonder. gray suggests complexities, ambiguities and paradoxes such that many don't desire to begin down that path. but for you i hear an openness, excitement and anticipation to engage the challenge, not for the sake of descriptive reductionism for objectifying something or someone but perhaps for the sake of being changed yourself in and through the process. YOU will be the one changed, YOU will be the one that is being worked on and for the better of both yourself and for others. keep it up dude. you're on the right way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well hello there drew, i have wandered over to find your blog. it is nice to see you writing on something other than a brown paper bag. :) i am energized by your pondering and love that you are not afraid to wrestle with the varying hues of life and faith (they are sometimes blurred and sometimes bold, you know).

    ahhhh...how i resonate with your pursuit to love...
    it seems so simple on paper , but the ripple effects of a daily life dedicated to embodying love with those close and at odds with you can radically change your heart, mind, behavior, the very fabric of your life.

    i am thrilled to be learning a life of love with you at lcm and in the blogging world...no matter if we are in the black, white or gray. it all belongs to God.

    peace be on your head (shalom) this night, kc

    ReplyDelete